Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why didn't I do this sooner??

As we all know, healthy eating can be somewhat expensive. Mike and I willingly take on that expense because the benefits far outweigh the costs, but I'm always happy to save a little money where I can. Today, I believe I've come accross a solution that will save me a little money and probably some time as well. I went to Costco and stocked up on meat. We're a small family, so buying food at Costco just always seemed a little much for us. Well, today I bought a big pack of pork chops, a large fillet of salmon, a bunch of chicken, 4 pounds of ground turkey breast meat, some frozen mahi mahi, fresh scallops, and a rotisserie chicken. Tonight, I took the time to portion it all out and stick in the freezer what we won't use immediately. We'll get 5 meals out of the pork chops, 4 out of the salmon, 4 out of the turkey, 5 out of the chicken, 4 out of the mahi mahi, 2 out of the scallops, and the rotisserie chicken will serve as a lunch options to go on a salad, sandwich, or whatever else seems tasty. That's a month worth of meat in my freezer for somewhere around $150. I spent less per pound on everything I bought at Costco than I would at Kroger and it's all fresh (well, except for the frozen mahi mahi) and very healthy. This will likely make meal planning easier and it will save me from those random trips to the grocery store when I have nothing around to cook. Plus, it's all portioned out so I'll only cook what Mike and I will eat in one meal which means that I won't be throwing food away when it doesn't get eaten later. (Hmm... maybe I'll even go a step further and sit down one day and come up with a bunch of meal plans for all of this meat so I don't have to think about that either... maybe.) Is this brilliant or have you all been doing this all along and I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner? I can't take any credit for the idea-- this came from my sister, Kristen, who is also a very healthy eater. I'm thinking that I'll continue doing this from now on and I'll try to start going to the Famer's Market for produce. I hear it's less expensive and better there so we'll see. Plus it's just fun! Just thought I'd share what seems like a great plan for our family incase it might work for any of you as well. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment