Thursday, May 7, 2009

Not the best day

It's Thursday and for some reason, Thursdays aren't always my best days. It's the end of the week for us so perhaps it's just the pent up frustrations that gather throughout the week and seem to manifest themselves all in one day. I realize that Mike's schedule may seem luxurious to some, but not if you really know what that schedule entails. We get up at 5 so we can do our morning routine in time for him to get to work by 7:00. Yes, he has his long lunch breaks, which we spend at the gym and then it's a hurried lunch and back to work. He doesn't get home until 7:00 pm at the earliest, sometimes not until close to 8. By that time, I'm fairly batty and ready for some relief. He works very hard for those four days and then there are Friday morning meetings and weekend screenings, often more than one. There are always phone calls, emergency patients, decisions to make for the office, errands to run for the office, etc. etc. etc.
Ok, I'm complaining... and I don't mean to, because 90% of the time I love everything about the practice, his role, my role, and the time we do have to share together. On Thursdays, though, I'm a little spent and ready for the weekend. Tonight was no exception. I cleaned and worked around the house all day, ran some errands, and completely ran out of steam by the time dinner needed to be cooked. UG! Mike came to the rescue... with Taco Bell. I didn't even care by that point. I didn't care so much that I not only ate my tacos (fresco style, if that counts for anything), but I munched on Lacey's crackers and just now, at 11:30, a bowl of cereal. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I realize that one bad night isn't the worst thing in the world by any means, but I'm frustrated that I didn't prepare myself better. I will certainly run a few extra miles this weekend and I'll be more careful to make up for it, but there is a lesson to be learned. On Thursdays, dinner needs to prepared much earlier than normal. I either need to make enough food on Wednesday nights that it will give us dinner again on Thursday, or I need to use the crockpot in the morning, or maybe even prepare something while Lacey naps. So I'm writing this entry to remind myself of that committment so this doesn't happen again. Avoiding pitfals, I'm discovering, is all about recognizing when they happen and being prepared... so my challenge to any of you who are also trying to be more healthy is to sit down and think about the things that usually get you and then think of ways you can defend yourself against them.

By the way, my complaints this evening are really just the ramblings of a woman who needs to be in bed. I really do love Mike's profession and I recognize that we have so many opportunities and blessings that many people don't have and that I certainly don't have it rough. I don't mean to whine or to appear ungrateful... just trying to illustrate the frame of mind that led to tonight's demise. Tomorrow is a new day and we have a lovely Mother's Day weekend to celebrate and lots of time to spend as a family. And I'm getting a massage on Saturday so I will be quite the new woman! :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you are fine! :) Personally, I think one day a week where you aren't eating right is actually sort of good, especially if you aren't eating horribly. And actually, a lot of Taco Bell fresco style items aren't too bad. Not that they're good, but they aren't bad. It sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the massage sounds great! I think there are pros and cons to everyones live no matter how good it seems like it is. I eat treats every Friday night that way I know during the week at least I will eventially get something. i think you are doing great! Rock on with losing a few more pounds!

    ReplyDelete