Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27

Hello... I have returned! After a week-long hiatus from working out and focusing on my health (broken bone, gallbladder attack, trip to Arizona....), I am back in action today. I wasn't sure I would work out today because I was pretty tired, but after a conversation with Amber about exercise and health, I felt compelled to hit the treadmill instead of the bed. So glad I did! I am starting the Isagenix cleanse over today as it became difficult to focus on that last week as well.

As for the conversation with Amber, I thought I'd share a bit of what we discussed (hopefully she won't mind! :) because I think it's important for all of us mommas to remember. In her considerations of joining a gym, she's feeling the inevitable guilt that moms face when they feel they're doing something for themselves-- money, leaving the kids, and feeling selfish about all of it. I've definitely felt it all. Before Lacey was born, though, I decided that I would not give in to that feeling. I honestly feel like that's one of Satan's tools to keep us miserable. He takes a genuinely good thing like motherhood and uses that to keep us from doing things that would make us happier, more in tune, and ultimately better mothers and wives. Health is NOT selfish!! Think of how you feel when you're feeling over weight with the typical aches and pains associated with not living a healthy life. As for me, I was not happy. I thought I was happy, but now that I'm healthy, I know how to be so much happier. I was easily depressed and didn't feel worthy of the things that I wanted. I wasn't as good a friend, a sister, a wife, etc. If I were still over weight, I know I wouldn't be a great mom either. How would getting out of that slump be considered selfish??? Let's step away from the short-term effects and think of the long term ones. If you were to stay on the exact same road you're on right now with the same eating and exercise plan you currently keep, how do you think you'll feel 10, 20, 30 + years from now? That's hard to think about because it seems so far off and we all like to think we're invinscible, but ask people in their 50s and 60s if they wish they'd taken better care of themselves when they were younger and I'm sure they'd say yes. It's possible to age well and to be active and healthy for many years. Think of how your kids, grandkids, and so forth would benefit from that. Think of all of the things you can accomplish and do as a healthy 40, 50, 60, 70... year old. The kids are all going to leave home at some point, leaving you to either continue a downhill spiral or to travel, earn college degrees and have a rewarding career, go on missions, etc. etc. etc. The fact that Satan has convinced us women that working towards health goals is selfish is astounding to me! But he is a cunning one and knows what will work. Darn him! Hm... I've jumped on a soap box, haven't I? Well, take it for what it's worth. My simple hope is that we, as mothers, will resolve to stop allowing those thoughts to keep us from achieving what we and our families deserve. If you continue to avoid workouts and healthy living, then let it be for some other reason because selfishness just isn't valid in my book.

That's my lecture for the evening. Now time for Bachelorette!!! Who's it gonna be????

No comments:

Post a Comment